Our History

On 1 April 2010 Shave Paint and Décor celebrated 25 years of successful trading and 100 years in the South African paint industry. Scroll down to learn more.

Scroll

Early 1900s

Shave Paints 1910

The earliest store was located in West Street, Durban when George Codner opened a Paint, Wallpaper, Glass & China shop in 412 West Street, Durban in 1910, trading as G.C. Shave. Jack & Arthur, his two sons, joined him after World War I, after having served in the South African Infantry. G. C. Shave grew the business from importing paint, glass & wallpaper.

With a shop in Prince Edward Street, they established paint factories in Bellair & later at Jacobs. The grandsons, two from each son Jack and Arthur, expanded into the manufacturing of Decorative, Industrial, Refinish & Automotive Paints with branches and stores in most leading cities and towns in the country.

Shave Paints 1910

1950s

Shave Paints 1910

The Bellair Factory of G.C Shave. Circa 1957. Where R.A Shave (Current Co-Chairman) spent his first year “in overalls”. It was a family business philosophy that family business was the only way to get to know the industry. Image: (Automotive and Industrial paints factory 1945 – 1960s)

The grandsons, two from each son Jack and Arthur, expanded into the manufacturing of Decorative, Industrial, Refinish & Automotive Paints with branches and stores in most leading cities and towns in the country. Image: 16 Burg Street, Cape Town. G.C Shave Paint & Wallpaper. This store was closed when the landlord (Protea Holdings) decided to develop the land.

Shave Paints 1910

1960s – 70s

Shave Paints 1910

In 1969 there was a Stock Exchange boom in the country. Motivated by the desire to be part of a JSE-listed company, the business established in 1910 was sold to Protea Holdings. Soon thereafter, Protea merged its paint interests with Dulux and so Prolux was born in 1971. Image: Marketed as “The Paint & Wallpaper Centre” (part of G.C Shave Group) in Port Elizabeth (1961 – 1971).

During the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s both Prolux and Plascon factories grew in their dominance through acquisitions. Plascon had incorporated many well-known businesses and 36 brands. This was the age of the conglomerates and big companies. Image: Circa 1965 – 68/70 Ladysmith & Depot shared by Pietermaritzburg Glassworks & G.C Shave’s.

Shave Paints

1980s

Shave Paints

The 1980’s in particular were turbulent times politically, having a profoundly negative effect on business. Sanctions, as a result of Apartheid, had limited the country’s future. Image: The Pinetown branch as a Dulux Paint ‘n Paper owned by AECI.

PW Botha’s famous Rubicon speech resulted in great business pessimism and contributed significantly to AECI’s decision to accept an offer by Richard Shave to purchase the Dulux Paint and Paper store in Pinetown. Image: The Pinetown branch after it’s purchase from AECI and the resurrection of the Shave name (Early 1980s)

Shave Paints
Shave Paints

The first days of the Pinetown branch (Early 1980s). Left: Daraval Reddy (Operations Director, over 20 years of service). Middle: Stephen Mkhize (Retired) – His son Siyanda now works at Shave’s. Right: Michael Hauptfleish (Colour & Wallpaper Expert, now deceased).

Pinetown provided a sound base for growth. The Shave name, which had been well respected for over 75 years, was brought back, the building was re-signwritten, stock, fittings, furniture and vehicles were bought from Dulux. Image: Moving advertising (during early 1980s). After Pinetown Dulux Paint ‘n Paper was bought back by the Shave family.

Shave Paints

1990s – present

Shave Paints

After a number of years, the Plascon brand and its products were added to give our customers even wider choice, and more recently the proudly South African Dekade brand. Under the leadership of Nick Shave further branches were established at Springfield Park, Umhlanga, Hillcrest, Ballito, Bluff and Boksburg and Amanzimtoti to complement the existing Pinetown branch. Image-left: The Pinetown branch alterations getting underway to grow and expand. Circa 1999. Adding on a 2nd floor which today houses reps and credit control, expanded showroom, dispatch and warehouse below.

“Best in products, price and advice.”